Tuesday 28 February 2012

While the Nightingale Lata Mangeshkar and her illustrious sister Asha Bhosle has been awarded the doctorate time and again over, their talented composer-brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar received his first doctorate from the Lokmanya Tilak University in Pune this week.

Speaking from Pune the soft spoken Hridaynath Mangeshkar said, "Lata Didi is a health care provider. She's also the Bharat Ratna of India. Asha Didi could also be a physician and Padma Vibhushan winner. I'M also a Padma Shri. Now it's my turn. Three honorary doctorates in a single family where none of has had the privilege of upper education is indeed a novel honour. Greater than for myself, I'm proud to be bringing this honour into my family."

With brutal honesty Hridaynathji admits Hindi cinema hasn't ever been kind or generous to him. "The last Hindi film for which I composed music was Lekin in 1990. Thereafter no Hindi projects came my way. I've kept myself busy with Marathi films and stage performances. But it surely can be wrong to mention that I DID NOT need Hindi films. The reality is, Hindi cinema didn't need me."

Ask him why his illimitable knowledge of music was not found to be useful for Hindi cinema and Hridayji says, "Perhaps they thought my compositions were too complicated for the typical listener. I WISHED work. But Hindi cinema eluded me, and that is the reason truth. However I've no regrets. I never ever asked anyone for work."

Adds his sister Lata Mangeshkar, "WE HAVE NOW three Dr. Mangeshkars within the family now. Greater than my very own doctorates I'M happy with my brother's doctorate. He's so quiet and self-effacing, he never asks for anything. I'm more than pleased to mention the work that he has done and the entire achievements are his own. He never asked me to recommend him to any producer. I'M glad my brother is self made."