Monday 27 August 2012

At 49, I’m still in search of love: Sanjay Leela Bhansali

Sanjay Leela Bhansali 200x200 Sanjay Leela Bhansali is 49, a bachelor, and says he truly believes within the concept of his sister Bela Sehgal’s directorial debut “Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi”, which deals with love between two 40-plus individuals.

“I love Bela’s concept of affection striking two people who find themselves seen as past the age of marriage. Love can strike at 45 or 85. I'M 49, and i'm still looking ahead to like to happen,” said Bhansali in an interview. He was rumoured to be tying the knot with choreographer Vaibhavi Merchant.

He also spread out concerning the agony of watching Sehgal’s directorial debut being delayed.

Following are excerpts from the interview:

Q: It has taken your sister Bela an excellent ten years to direct her first film. LOTS OF PEOPLE blame you for the delay…

A: Things happen once they are destined to happen. I’m aware that folks thought I USED TO BE the banyan tree which doesn’t allow every other tree to grow in its shade. The concept that individuals held me chargeable for my sister’s career not commencing killed me from inside.

You’d be surprised to grasp that she held my hand and introduced me to the wonders of cinema. She took me to the FTII (Film and tv Institute of India) and he or she introduced me to the film industry. I owe everything I'M today to her. Maybe I USED TO BE fortunate to have directed a movie before her. But rightfully she must have directed before me.

Q: You will have prodded her to direct her film long before?

A: From time to time I used to wonder whether she was taking goodbye to direct a movie because she spent such a lot time editing my films. But there has been nothing I MAY do. Bela was always a part of my creativity. She edited all my films until “Black” after which she decided it was time for her to direct her own film. She was always very clear that she desired to start as an editor after which direct a film.

She desired to direct a movie only once I made “Devdas”. Still, there has been a nagging feeling inside me that I'LL be slowing down her creative journey by holding directly to her within the capacity of an editor for my films. I ACTUALLY missed her editing in “Saawariya” and “Guzaarish”.

Q: I FEEL you and Bela had violent physical fights over the editing of your films?

A: Oh yes. I USED TO BE like a tiger protecting every inch of my footage. She was ruthless. She would tell me on my face that certain things needed to go. She ceased to be a sister and have become an editor. We’ve gone at one another like two cats, with our horrified assistants seeking to separate us from all sides. We were obnoxious within the editing room. But she made the best decisions. And you can now see that very same ruthless economy of expression in her own film.

Her film is solely 1 hour 45 minutes long, not a minute longer than it had to be. I miss her within the editing room. But if I saw what she had directed, I'M glad she has moved on.

Q: How do you are feeling when she is finally ready along with her film?

A: Bela’s film is infinitely superior to my first film “Khamoshi: The Musical”. I wish I had made “Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi”. We were planning “Shirin Farhad…” for eight years. Only I DO KNOW what agony I’ve suffered in these eight years. The delay wasn’t only because she is my sister. Some actors walked out of “Shirin Farhad…”. I’d rather not discuss these ugly things, because we finally succeeded in getting the very best cast (Boman Irani and Farah Khan).

Q: “Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi” recommends love past an age not socially permissible in our society. Do you think that love is feasible after 45?

A: Why not? I LIKE Bela’s concept of affection striking two people who find themselves seen as past the age of marriage. Love can strike at 45 or 85. I'M 49, and i'm still looking ahead to like to happen. – IANS

Have comments in this article? Post them here: